Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reindeer Games

For those of y’all that have 2 days left until Winter Break, can I get at “Woot! Woot!”?!?!? As my dear friend, Abby, would say, “PTL!!!!!!!” This week has been crazy insane…and the scary thing is that I know I’m not alone!!! Between gift making, gift wrapping, station work, and catching up, my classroom looks like a scene straight out of The Wizard of Oz :)

Reindeer are one of my favorite things to learn about, so this week has been all about reindeer fun & games!!

We’ve started each morning with the AMAZING Word of the Day sheets from Made for 1st Grade.

wotd

source: Made For 1st Grade

I LOVE these!! And it’s SO fun to see my kids use these words…spelled CORRECTLY {halleluia!!!} in their writing!!!!

We’re also finishing up the last few activities from my Christmas units {Merry & Bright Math Tubs & Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree Literacy Centers} This season, my kids’ FAVORITE game has been the “Punctuation Present”!! I’m definitely NOT complaining because they’re *finally* starting to understand the difference among these types of sentences! Woo hoo!! Because they’ve played it so much, I’ve had to come up with a few extension activities for it. We made little “punctuation presents” today {I forgot my camera!!!} and the kids loved it! Basically, I cut out a gift template for each of the kids and that was the cover of their book. When you open up the book, there’s a ‘telling’ page, a ‘question’ page, and an ‘excited’ page. The kids had to write & illustrated holiday sentences for each type of sentence. They LOVED it! ANDDDDDDD…they’ve requested another round tomorrow :) You can download a copy for your classroom, too! Just click on the pic below….

Slide27

I’ve been using Sarah Cooley’s Reindeer Games unit and I’M.IN.LOVE. Her illustrations are DARLING and they straight up make me smile. The kids have loved them, too!!! She always has such original ideas and the kids love her activities! If you’ve still got time left and need more ideas, you need to check it out!!

cover page reindeer

We made these cute little reindeer to practice reindeer name ABC order. I haven’t scanned the tracers because I’ve been all kinds of busy, so I’m sorry I don’t have that to share!!! I accidentally missed a reindeer, but my kids were quick to solve the problem and make their own corrections.

reindeer7

reindeer8reindeer9

We read a few fiction stories about reindeer and then the kids wrote letters to Santa telling him why they’d make good reindeer. Their writing has improved SO much this year…especially their handwriting!!! We’ve still got lots to work on, but I’m SO proud of how far they’ve come!

reindeerreindeer4

reindeer2reindeer3

Speaking of reindeer, I made these little “Reindeer Noses” packets for the boys in my oldest son’s playgroup. Of course, I found this idea on Pinterest. Love. I also found the cute little label online. The little brown bags are from the craft section at Hobby Lobby {12 for $1.99} and the bag is filled with little red & green M&M’s. If you’re still looking for a little class gift….and don’t have any allergies in your class…this is the perfect little something to give! Inexpensive and absolutely PRECIOUS!!! They’d also be perfect to give after learning about reindeer, too!!

reindeernoses3 copyreindeernoses4 copy 2

Now it’s time to get back to baking!!! I’ll be up to my ears in sugar & flour for the next few days!! LOVE IT!!!!!

And everything in my little TpT shop is 20% off through Friday!

HAPPY WEDNESDAY, PEOPLE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews