Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reindeer Games

I feel like the 3 weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas break are so RUSHED! Not that I’m complaining…I LOVE breaks :)…but there’s always so much I want to fit in in such a short amount of time! Last week we started learning about reindeer. Before we continue on with more reindeer fun this week, I wanted to start with some non-fiction reading and fact gathering, so that’s just what we did!

We started out by reading this non-fiction book about reindeer…

reindder

I love reading non-fiction books because my kids just eat it up! They’re SO engaged when it comes to learning new facts. Plus, it gives me a chance to teach them about the table of contents, index, vocabulary, etc. At the end of each chapter, we stop to jot facts. We started with a KWL, and it was so fun to see what they thought they knew about reindeer {they live in the North Pole, they fly, they only eat carrots :)} After we gathered all of our “What I Learned” facts, we organized them onto our Reindeer fact chart.

reindeer2

The kids used the fact chart for some independent writing. They had to choose three facts to write about and then make their own reindeer.

reindeer3reindeer5

reindeer4

We also organized our thoughts onto a tree map and used it to sort nouns/verbs/adjectives. I used a great little printable from Deanna Jump’s Reindeer Unit for the kids to create their own tree map. There are LOTS of great ideas in that unit!!!!

reindeer1

We’ll do a few more little reindeer activities this week and then get ourselves ready for a BREAK!!! Can’t wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews