Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rewind.

These last few weeks have been moving in fast forward, so it’s time to stop down and rewind just a bit :) To sum it all up, we learned about apples, made applesauce, learned about all things moon, and know more about spiders and arachnids than we ever cared to know. My student teacher started on Tuesday and I love her big. She was observing in my room 2 days a week during the Spring, so I’m SUPER excited to have her back. She’s a natural, so that makes me happy. And, she’s the most helpful, sweetest person EVER. In a year where I’m facing more classroom challenges than ever before, I’m feeling SO very blessed to have her on board with me :)

Now, let’s get down to business. Here’s a little ABC order apple activity I put in my stations a few weeks ago.

school7

While I’m down with Daily 5 and all, I had to make some SERIOUS changes to the way my literacy block is structured. I’ll tell y’all more about that in a different post. In the meantime, you can download the ABC order activity, activity sheet, and a few more literacy activities by clicking on the pics below.

Apple ABC Order Sheet Apple Literacy Activities

I was inspired by my dear friend, Abby, to introduce labeling and talking about Johnny Appleseed and apples seemed like the perfect time to throw it in to the mix! We made construction paper apples and then labeled the parts.

school9

school8

This past week, we learned all about Spiders, Fire Safety, and Clouds. I’ll share all of our cloud activities in a separate post because there’s lots to include!! I used the Fire Safety Unit from the ladies of Made for 1st Grade and the kids were in LOVE!!! Such a GREAT unit, so you definitely wanna check it out!!!

As for spiders, we had lots of fun with those little arachnids, too!!

We started the week with a little spider labeling and thinking maps.

school5

Grab the printables here…

Slide1spider thinking maps and subtraction

My kids worked on matching subtraction sentences during math tubs this week and they did an awesome job! They used buttons and spider rings for counters. The download is included in the “My Spider Brace Map” printables.

school1

We also did a little spider syllable sorting and a stamp-a-spider {stamping chunk words on spider legs} during our literacy block…

school3school4school2

You can grab the spider syllables below. I don’t have the stamp-a-spider template, though. I used Power Point to create them though…just added a circle for the body, two little dots for the eyes, and then created a table of 8 rows to cut for the legs. I typed the chunks inside the spider body so the kids would know what kind of words they had to create. Does that even make sense?!?! HA!

Spider Syllables

We also worked on graphing and problem solving this week, too. After talking to some of our 2nd grade teachers, I really want to make sure my kids know how to read and interpret graphs and answer some of the questions that go with them. The longer we work on them and practice, the better!!

Are You Afraid Of Spiders Graph

Alright. There we go. A nice little rewind of the last few weeks learning! I’ll be back on Tuesday to share some of our cloud activities with y’all! In the meantime, have a GREAT Monday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews