Saturday, October 8, 2011

Fly Me to the Moon

Happy weekend, sweet friends!! We’re in Houston celebrating my grandparent’s 55th wedding anniversary. They are SO dang cute! They’re treating the family to a murder mystery dinner cruise around the bay tonight :) A night without the kids?! Yes please!! So sorry for my recent absence on the blogging scene lately…and I’m especially sad about my lack of Wandering Wednesday this week. Y’all…life is crazy and I needed to devote my nights to being a mommy :) And I don’t regret it one bit! Anywho…these last few weeks have been jammed packed, so I’ll be updating quite a bit in the days to come. Over the last two weeks, we’ve been observing changes in the moon and we’ve had SO much fun!!!!

We started our study using Abby’s Over the Moon Unit…making a Moon Facts book, making Mooncake, creating Moon Goons, and launching spoons! The kids LOVED it!! I’ve been slacking on taking pictures, so I don’t have any to share, but y’all…it was fun! We also incorporated tons of activities from my newest unit, Moon Mania, that the kids really enjoyed, too!

When we introduced our moon study, we made a fun little moon anchor chart to hang in our science center.

moon7

The kids used the facts we collected to add to their Moon Facts Book {from Abby’s unit…keeping in our Science journals}. We also made a little “Moon Matter of Facts” craftivity that the kids AH-dored. The kids had to write 3 facts and then watercolor a moon. We used glue to make the craters, let it dry, and then painted over it.

moon15

The kids kept themselves busy during our “dailies” this week with lots of hands-on moon themed literacy activities. We put space themed pictures & words in ABC order, recorded them, and used those words to create sentences.

moon3

We labeled a space scene using word cards as a spelling resource…

moon2moon16

We also sequenced the phases of the moon and then made moon mobiles & labeled each phase to reinforce what we learned.

moon4moon11

The kids did a little handwriting craftivity where they copied a poem and then made the Man in the Moon with aluminum foil.

moon6

In Math, we made craters on the moon with addition facts…

moon1

We also sorted even & odd numbers, played fun moon-themed math games, and did a little moon measurement activity, too! {no pictures :( BOO}.

We talked about compound words and learned new vocabulary, too! We made these fun little flip books to show what we learned.

moon13

One of our fun Sci Fri activities was making moon craters!! SOOOO much fun!! The kids LOVED it!

moon17

We also started sending home our MOON BAG!!! My class is OBSESSED!!!!

Moonlog4[6]

All of these activities…plus lots more…are in my newest unit, Moon Mania. If you’re interested in reading about what’s included in the 76 page unit, you can check it out HERE.

In other news, I broke down and started a little Facebook page for Emilyk Cole. I figured it would be a fun way to get to put a face with y’alls names :) I’m not promising I’ll be great at updating it, but I’ll try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews