Thursday, September 29, 2011

Direction, Position, & Maps

Do y’all remember this oldie?!

rosieswalk

Sweet little Rosie. Just a walkin’ along, singin’ her song. Leavin’ behind that pesky ol’ fox. We were recently learning about positional & directional words, so we read Rosie’s Walk to review position. And then we did this cute little craftivity to reinforce what we learned.

rosie

How cute is she?! Pretty dang cute, I think! The kids LOVED her!! I’ve been TERRIBLE…absolutely TERRIBLE…about taking pictures in the classroom this year. I’m gonna echo Abby when I say that this year’s class has been pretty challenging, so I’m left with little time to document our day. Trust me when I say that their sweet little Rosie’s were PRECIOUS! I let them pick out their own feathers and they had SO much fun!! It was a great way to reinforce what we read!!

We also read this classic…

meonthemap

…and then followed it up with this awesome little hands-on activity inspired by Jenn Bates over at Finally in First.

map

Photo via Finally In First

Again, no pictures, but the kids loved creating their maps!!!

We also talked about legends & symbols on maps. I showed them different examples and then we made our own…of the great state of Texas, of course!

texas

We used the heart stickers to symbolize our city and the little star stickers to symbolize our state capital. I cut out the Texas shapes…found the outline online…and had the kids put it altogether.

I had SO much fun teaching these concepts this year!! Thank you, sweet blog friends, for all your inspiration!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews