Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chrysanthemum…Not Just A “Name” Book

When I taught Kindergarten, we usually used Chrysanthemum to introduce names. Of course, it’s a great book to discuss what it means to be unique and special, too. There are SO many different ways you can use this book! During the first week of school, we used Chrysanthemum to discuss the impact unkind words have on our hearts. I cut out a giant heart using red butcher paper. Before I started reading the story, I handed the heart to one of my kids and gave them instructions to crumple the heart every time they heard something unkind, and then pass it to the next person. By the time I had finished the book, we had quite a sad looking little heart. As I tried to iron out the creases, we talked about how hard it is to make our hearts feel better after hearing such unkind words. I added Band-Aids with each of their names to the heart to show that it’s impossible to take away those unkind words, but we can always try to help and make things better. Then we followed up by talking about how we will always use kind words with others and brainstormed a list of kind things we can say. Now we have the heart hanging in our room to serve as a visual reminder to

ALWAYS USE KIND WORDS!

heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews