Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tooth Fairies, Teeth, & a Little Bit of Money

Have you ever wondered what the Tooth Fairy does with all those teeth?!?! We asked ourselves that same question and the kids came up with some pretty clever answers! First, we read a little book…
What Do the Fairies Do With All Those Teeth? - Dental Health Month Books for Kids
And for a little reader’s response, the kids wrote about what they thought the tooth fairies did with their teeth! And they made some cute little scrapbook tooth fairies to go along with their writing.
dentalhealth8
This is probably my favorite thing we’ve done to date! I LOVE how they turned out!
dentalhealth9dentalhealth10dentalhealth11dentalhealth12dentalhealth13
The kids did pretty much ALL of the work themselves. I showed them an example, but told them they could make their fairies look however they wanted. I cut out the heads, arms, & legs. I also cut out the star on the wand {using our die cuts}. I really wanted them to focus on the writing piece more than the art…but I LOVE how different they all came out!!!
The kids have been having *12 kinds of* fun using their “teeth” and mouth math mats for dental themed problem solving in our math journals. I know this is all shades of ridiculous, but I really love problem solving with the kids! I think it’s so neat for kids to talk about their problem solving strategies and see that even though they solve problems in different ways, they can still come up with the same answers!!dentalhealth1dentalhealth2
Graphic courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles
dentalhealth5dentalhealth4dentalhealth3
The mouth mats and problem solving prompts are included in my Dental Health Mini Unit on TpT.
We’re still truckin’ along with money, too.
dentalhealth7
This was one of the activities in my Coin Collection packet on TpT.

One of our word work activities was sorting /ee/ & /ea/ words. The kids loved it! I love hearing them when they find one of these vowel combos in their reading books…they get so dang excited!
dentalhealth15
dentalhealth17dentalhealth18
Graphic courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles
This little activity is in my Dental Health Mini Unit, too. You can grab it at TpT if you’re still in the market for some tooth trouble ;)

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be learning about Patriotic Symbols, Presidents, & TEXAS {yee-haw!} in our social studies curriculum, so be on the lookout for LOTS of fun stuff!! In addition to all that greatness, we’ll be knee deep in Open House preparation and Deanna Jump’s America Unit is the inspiration for this year’s theme!! It couldn’t have come at a better time!! Stay tuned for lotsa fun stuff!! I’ll also be posting a March Madness Mega Pack of literacy, math, & science activities on TpT this weekend!! Get excited….HA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews