Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On A Roll

After reading this post, you *might* think I’m a little obsessed with dice activities :) Not true…however, my kids totally are!!! And I know that when they’re excited, I might as well milk it for all it’s worth! HA! One of my firsties told me today, “You know what’s weird?! I feel like I’m having a lot of fun, but really I’m learning!” Oops…guess the cat’s outta the bag ;)
I’m LOVING this little activity…and so are the kids!! This activity focuses on ADJECTIVES. Now, I might be obsessed with that!! HA!! I prepared 7 envelopes. 6 envelopes contained 4-5 different adjectives. 1 envelope contained 12-15 different sentence strips. The kids had to choose a sentence strip from the sentence envelope and then roll the die. Then they had to choose 2 adjectives from the envelope that matched their roll. SO…if they rolled a 6, they picked 2 adjectives from the envelope labeled 6.
onaroll1onaroll2onaroll5
onaroll4
Then they had to figure out where to fit the adjectives into their sentence to make a silly statement! They had SUCH a BLAST with this one!!! It was so much fun to see what they wrote….the sentences & illustrations were awesome! And it was a great activity to reinforce adjective placement. They had to know that adjectives describe a noun and they couldn’t just put them any ol’ place in the sentence. FUN!
onaroll3
onaroll6onaroll7
Graphics courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles

zzzzzsilly

This next activity was too much fun!! The kids were given 3 different dice labeled with adjectives, nouns, & verbs. I just cut out words and did a very poor job of TAPING them on :) Whatever works, right?! They had to roll all three dice and record the words on which they landed. They had to know that each word was either a verb/noun/adjective for recording purposes. Then they had to use all 3 words in a sentence. They did such a great job! I was so proud of them!!!!
onaroll8
onaroll10onaroll11
zzzzzsentenceroll
The kids have requested that we keep both of these activities in their stations for the rest of the week. I love it when that happens!
We’re just finishing up a few little mini-lessons and activities on fact & opinion. I know that can be a tricky concept for the kids to grasp, but my kids had so many questions about “opinions” that I decided it was time to teach them about it!!! We are having SO much fun and the kids are learning SO much! I’ve overheard a few of my firsties say to their friends, “well, that’s your OPINION.” HA!!!
onaroll12
Graphic courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles

You can grab our fun little Fact & Opinon Packet at my TpT store HERE. Here’s a little sample of the goods…
FactOpinionPreview
Happy Wednesday, sweet friends!!! Can you believe it’s almost APRIL?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews