Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Winner, My Desk, and Open House

I haven’t had a chance to sit down at the computer since Sunday…it’s been one of those kinda weeks!! I towed my boys up to school one night and stayed pretty late trying to help decorate the halls for Open House. Needless to say, my classroom is a HOT mess…my boys are still learning the concept of “clean”. Yikes. Anywho, between Open House decorating and after school obligations, this week has been a little wild. I was shocked to see there were 197 comments for the latest giveaway! Thanks for playing along, y’all!! As for the winner, I won’t keep y’all waiting any longer…
CONGRATULATIONS TO…
winnerwinner1
Graphic courtesy of Scrappin' Doodles

Email me at thefirstgradeparade{at}gmail{dot}com. I’ll email you all your goodies!! Woo hoo!! And THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all you cuties who have already headed over to TpT to snag your copies of my March Madness Mega Pack and Jodi’s Reading Supplement Pack.
THANK YOU!!!!

In other news…my desk was my favorite place to be today. Can you guess why?!?!
desk1
HELLO CHOCOLATE!!!!! {And my Spring Break countdown, too…of course :)} You’re only seeing 4 boxes of Girl Scout cookies here. I stashed another 6 in my pantry at home :) My thin mints arrived today and OMG….I ate an ENTIRE sleeve.
desk2
SO much for my 5 a.m. workouts. DANG those Girl Scouts and their heavenly confections!!!!!
As for Open House, we’re all *12 kinds of* crazy tryin’ to get things together. Y’all…I gotta say…things are lookin’ DANG cute! My school is nothing short of amazing and the entire place just transforms into such a sight! Since we’re studying American symbols & Presidents in our curriculum, First Grade decided to go with a patriotic theme for our hallways & classroom this year. Just think, “Traveling through America”. The hallways are still a work in progress, but I’m LOVIN’ what we have so far! Can’t wait to show y’all!!
Here’s a little peek at what we’ve been workin’ on in the classroom…
LOVE this little writing!! We read several non-fiction {& fiction} stories about Abe Lincoln. One of the books was a little story about how Lincoln carried around important papers in his hat. The kids thought it was a hoot! So we wrote about what we would keep in our hats. I had the kids glue their writing inside of a top hat and then they had to draw a “realistic” picture of Lincoln. Love how they turned out!
openhouse1openhouse3openhouse4openhouse5

After learning some facts and trivia about the American Flag, I had the kids draw their own, trace it with a sharpie, and watercolor! I love the sharpie/watercolor look!!
openhouse6

We made scrapbook paper patriotic windsocks, too! We’re reviewing what we learned about weather at the beginning of the year {since we’re heading into Spring} and these tie in perfectly!
openhouse14openhouse15openhouse16

This is one of my favorites so far!! Our librarian did this awesome research lesson with the kids on the Statue of Liberty. When we came back to our classroom, we did a directed drawing & then had the kids write about what they learned. This most fabulous idea came from Deanna Jump’s America Unit. A MUST HAVE!!!!!!
openhouse17openhouse19openhouse18

We also took pics of the kids in Uncle Sam hats & had them point to themselves and smile. Kinda like a reverse “I WANT YOU!!!” Uncle Sam poster :) Then we wrote about why we’re proud to be an American. I have these hanging on my door underneath a banner that says, “I’m Proud to be an American”. LOVE!!!!
Please take a look at the top left writing. “I’m proud to be an American because there is TEMPERATE weather here.” Omiword. I about DIED when she handed it to me! HA!! Too much!!
openhouse8openhouse10openhouse12openhouse13
HAPPY THURSDAY, FRIENDS!!!!!!! TGI{almost}F!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews