Saturday, October 9, 2010

Addition Games & Activities

I really love teaching addition. There is SO much you can do to reinforce the concept! Right now we’re knee deep in addition concepts so I wanted to share with you a few games and activities we’ve been working on in our classroom!

Here’s a little game I created to reinforce number sentences. I got the original idea from Mailbox Magazine and just adjusted a few things to fit the needs of my classroom. You can download a copy of the game and instructions, too! Just click the link below the pic.

addition1 (2)

click to download

FIND THE SUMS

The kids LOVED this activity. It’ll just take a little prep work on your part. I created student name cards along with pictures to use in this particular math tub. The kids got to choose 8 of their friends cards and use their names to create number sentences. They were instructed to count the vowels & consonants in their friends’ names and record the results. Then they were instructed to combine the two numbers to create a number sentence! My kids always remember to “flip” the numbers to make a new number sentence, too {if they can}. To make this activity a bit more challenging, don’t color code the vowels. Click on the link below the pic to download the recording sheet.

addition2

click to download

VOWEL & CONSONANT ADDITION

Here’s a game that my kids beg to play! It’s called COVER UP SOME MORE. I had played this game with my kids when I taught Kindergarten, but I didn’t have any boards left, so I had to create some more. I didn’t take any pics of this one, but you can download the game boards and instructions below!

click to download

COVER UP SOME MORE

Here’s a little hands-on addition sorting activity I created. This one was a hit! Each web has a preprogrammed number and the kids have to match the spiders {with the number sentences} to the corresponding webs. Each web has 3 different corresponding spiders. Some are programmed with both addition and simple subtraction problems. This activity comes with a recording sheet, too! 1stgrade-spidersclick to download

SPIDER SORTING {ADDITION & SUBTRACTION}

Here’s another game…that I have NO pictures of…that my kids LOVE to play! I included two variations of the game along with instructions. You can click on the link below to download some for your classroom!

click to download

TOSS, WRITE, CIRCLE {& ADD!}

Since we’re celebrating Fire Safety this month, I had the kids create a fire safety scene. Their instructions were to include firefighters and a family in their picture. Then they had to create a number sentence that went along with the picture. Here’s an example from one of my cuties…we’re working on number reversals :)

addition1

As a quick warm-up activity, I had the kids create number sentences using thumbprint flies & spiders on a spider web {using a stamp pad }. They LOVED this one! And they turned out pretty cute, too!

1stgrade-spiders2

1stgrade-spiders3

Click on the link below to download this activity.

SPIDER WEB NUMBER SENTENCES

Those are just a few addition activities we’ve been working on the last couple of weeks. I’m busy making more so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews