Saturday, October 2, 2010

Skip Counting

My kids are really getting the hang of skip counting! At least, I think they are ;) Here are just a few little activities/ideas that I’ve incorporated to help reinforce this concept!

I requested that the parents send in {labeled} socks with the kids. I hung these on a clothesline to reinforce skip counting by 2’s.

skipcountingclothesline

The week that we introduced skip counting, we had the kids help us create these skip counting “anchor charts” to hang in the room as a visual. I guess I missed the 10’s chart! Ooops! The 10’s chart used pairs of feet for counting by 10’s.

skipcounting2

I created this little hands-on activity for the kids to practice skip counting by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s. I laminated construction paper and cut them in strips to form ladders. On each ladder rung, I wrote a different number. The kids had to climb the ladder in order of how they were skip counting.

climbtheladder Here’s a little recording sheet they can fill out when they’re finished with the hands-on piece…

click to download

CLIMB THE LADDER

I created this math activity for the kids to use in their Math Tubs. They request this activity ALL the time! You’ll need a set of calculators…I purchased about 5 LARGE calculators from the Dollar Tree. Using the preprogrammed calculator template, the kids practice counting by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s and recording their results on a recording sheet.

skipcounting

Download your set here…

SKIP COUNTING CALCULATIONS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews