Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spidey Writing

We started out our spider themed week reading a few non-fiction books and filling out a KWL. Not gonna lie…I learned A LOT of things about spiders this week! It was amazing to hear my kids recalling facts of everything they had learned, too! They were SO into it! I set up a labeling activity for the kids to visit during transition time or when they were finished with their other station activities. They also labeled a spider template I found on abcteach.com. This little labeling activity includes a lot more words to use for labeling…not sure what happened to them?!

spider1

At the end of the week, we talked about action words vs. descriptive words. While I don’t expect them to master the difference between adjectives and verbs right now, I did want them to know the difference! So I introduced verbs & adjectives and we used SPIDERS to brainstorm a list of both types of words…things that spiders can do vs. words that describe spiders. They LOVED this activity! They were talking about verbs and adjectives for the rest of the day!

spider2

After we created our list, I had the kids make a “Spider Sandwich” poem using 3 verbs and 3 adjectives that are “sandwiched” between the word SPIDER. After writing their poems, I painted their hands to make little handprint spiders. I LOVE handprint art!!! And I used reinforcement stickies for the eyes.

spider3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews