Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Very Busy Spider

I love starting the month of October learning about spiders. We read several non-fiction books that the kids adored, but they also LOVED this Eric Carle classic…The Very Busy Spider.

spider

After we read the story, I gave the kids a writing prompt to complete…

“I am very busy____________________________________ in First Grade!”

Their responses were cute and some of them were downright hilarious!! Apparently we spend our time running away from girls and coloring all day?! Hmmmm…

I cut out a class set of large black circles and a class set of smaller white circles to fit on top of the black {for a spider body}. I also cut a stack of black strips of construction paper {for spider legs}. We talked about accordion folds and I modeled how to accordion fold the black strips to form legs for the spiders. I hung faux spider webs on the inside of our classroom door and stuck the spiders on top of that. I also made a little title to hang that says, “The Very Busy First Graders…adapted from The Very Busy Spider”. This is how it turned out…

spiders1\spiders2

spiders3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews