Friday, October 22, 2010

I Want Candy!

Since it’s so close to Halloween…and the kids are SO very crazy about candy right now…I popped this little activity into a math tub this week! The kids were SO excited to work with candy and immediately wanted to know if they could eat it ;) No shocker there.

candygrab1

I glued these little signs onto 4-5 different paper bags and filled each with different amounts of candy. The kids reached into the bag and pulled out a handful of candy and recorded the # of pieces they grabbed onto a corresponding recording sheet. Then they reached in a second time and pulled out another handful of candy and recorded that amount as well.

candygrab2

After recording each grab, they used the two numbers to create a number sentence. I also had them “flip flop” the addends to show me another way to get the sum. Just a fun little way to incorporate candy around this time of year!

candygrab3

iwantcandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews